Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Envy


Many times I envy people who are non-political.  I’m a member of the Pennsylvania Earth Sciences Association.  Last night our meeting was held at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, where Dan Kunkle led a walk to explain the geology of the Gap.
I was in Nesquehoning at a meeting of the Carbon County Labor Chapter, where Matt Cartwright spoke.  I think Cartwright is one of the most impressive candidates I’ve ever met, but on some level I would have liked to learn about the geology of the Gap.
Tomorrow afternoon I should be pulling weeds in the truck patch--the peppers and okra are becoming overwhelmed.  Instead Freddie and I will be driving to Nesquehoning to talk to the residents at Maple Shade about absentee ballots.
On Saturday morning I like to sleep late.  Instead Linda and I will be meeting at the Democratic HQ in Lehighton for a Labor canvass.  
If I weren’t doing what I can to make America better, I would feel guilty.  Nevertheless, I must tell you that I think how easy and pleasant it would be to behave like 95% of Americans, restricting my involvement to voting once a year.  I have no clue how they do that.  I can’t. 

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, 60% of Americans aren't even involved with voting. Then the 60% complain about how bad it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We know how tough it is. One could put in endless hours working on campaigns, canvassing, phone banking, and organizing. But, this is what it takes to make a difference. And honestly, no one ever said it was going to be easy.

    Keep working hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you and LInda more than you know. It's people like you that keep people like me involved.

    ReplyDelete