Thursday, July 5, 2012

Higgs boson


The headline read, “Physicists Find Elusive Particle Seen as Key to Universe.”  The picture accompanying the article in today’s Times showed a room full of physicists in Geneva cheering and clapping upon receiving the news.
Isn’t it just wonderful that in a world where Muslim extremists are destroying cultural artifacts in Timbuktu, where Jewish extremists continue to settle on Palestinian land, where Ukrainian nationalists riot against people speaking Russian, where American fundamentalists believe the world began about 6000 years ago, where Mormons believe that native Americans are one of the lost tribes of Israel, where bombs continue to explode in Iraq, and where reason and moderation seem to have left on holiday, there are still men and women who care about expanding knowledge and advancing science.  
Congratulations to CERN and the Large Hadron Collider.  I don’t understand the Higgs Boson any more than I understand fiber optics or DNA, but I know enough to know that I want to stand with those physicists.

1 comment:

  1. Hats off to the "crazy ones" who push the human race forward....

    Sometimes I wish I could be one of those people but I am not mechanically inclined. I guess I would say I am trying to make a difference in my own way and that is all you could ask for out of a man.

    ReplyDelete