Friday, July 20, 2012

Penn State and Collective Guilt


I have liked Penn State since I attended 4-H conferences there in the 50‘s.  I had a wonderful time in graduate school; both my Master’s and Ph.D. degrees are from Penn State.  My years there were among the happiest of my life.
On the other hand, I have never been to a football game.  Living in Grad Circle, I could hear the roar of the crowd when Penn State scored a touchdown, but the only athletic events I attended were gym meets.  I thought the adulation for Joe Paterno was overblown even before the Sandusky affair, but I simply didn’t pay much attention.
Nonetheless, I am angry about the calls to shut down the Penn State’s football program for a year or two.  I firmly believe that people who commit crimes should be punished, but “collective guilt” is an abomination.  In what way are the current coach and football players guilty of any crime or any action that connects with the abuse of the children?  How can an institution be guilty?  People who commit crimes are guilty.  People who don’t report crimes are guilty.  They should be punished, but to punish innocent bystanders show a complete lack of due process--and morality.

No comments:

Post a Comment