Thursday, July 12, 2012

Picture ID, cont.


A few days ago I discussed the large number of Pennsylvania voters--758,000-- who do not have picture ID.  That figure seems very specific, but it was arrived at by comparing the list of current registered voters with the list of people who have a driver’s license.   
Today I spoke to the Carbon County Commissioners, sitting as the Election Board, about my problems at the PennDot License Center on last Friday.  Commissioner O’Gurek noted that Carbon County has approximately 1,700 voters who lack picture ID.  (I didn’t write down the number, but I think that is accurate.)  If just 1/3 of those voters try to get their ID between now and November, the License Center will be swamped.  
The Commissioners urged me to contact the Secretary of State, the director of PennDot, and Governor Corbett about my experience, and I will do that.  
I also heard from the Carbon County Registrar today that she had received a message from State Representative Heffley’s office that PennDot would begin accepting birth certificates without a raised seal.  She also noted that she had not yet received notification of this development in writing.
In light of what the Speaker of the Pennsylvania House said about the ID law ensuring Romney’s victory in the state, I don’t think I’m being too paranoid to think that the law is doing exactly what its supporters hoped--it is discouraging people from voting.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to think that your writing to the Secretary of State, the director of PennDot and the governor will do some good. More than likely your complaint will be filed in the round file next to their desks. You would have better luck writing to Eric Holder.

    I also would not trust that registrar. Might not be his fault, but I think it could be delaying tactic to keep people from getting their proper birth certificate in time to get the photo ID. How does the law actually read.

    I'm not paranoid, I just don't trust republicans!

    ReplyDelete